Alto Gállego Kingdom
MTB Alto Gállego
MTB Alto Gállego is located in the region of the same name and covers an area of 1,350 km2. It´s crossed by the river Gállego in its upper course, one of the most important Pyrenean tributaries of the river Ebro. The river shapes and supports high and mid-mountain landscapes combining alpine pastures in the Tena Valley, which borders with France; the lush forests that extend from the north to the Biescas Region and the Serrabloin its middle part; and the small pre-Pyrenean mountain ranges in the south, bordering Sierra and Canyons of Guara Natural Park. It is a region with a great landscape, culture and heritage wealth, closely linked to sports and nature tourism.
This region offers a wide and varied network of mountain bike trails, totalling 1,000 km, adapted to all levels and needs. There are enduro, all-mountain, marathon and family routes as well as several downhill runs and a cross-country circuit.. Most of these routes run along tracks, paths and old trails that have now been recovered and lead us to places and summits that offer spectacular landscapes and panoramic views of this sector of the Pyrenees. Great mountain massifs, high peaks, more than 50,000 hectares of forests, reservoirs, lakes, mountain lakes, medieval towers, Mozarabic churches and an endless number of paths and trails await you.
This area also offers you the most representative routes in the area for road cycling. Most of them run along secondary roads, with little traffic and with many small climbs to different mountain passes.
Nº of routes: 58
Km of trails
Best cycling season:
The routes located in the middle and southern part of the region are suitable for cycling at any time of the year. The routes in the northernarea, located in the councils of Sallent, Hoz de Jaca, Panticosa and part of Biescas, are not suitable for cycling in winter and early spring as they are covered with snow at their highest elevations.
Type of terrain:
Don't miss out:
After the many activities you have carried out during your stay in our region, we invite you to enjoy the authentic flavours of the dishes prepared for you in the many restaurants in the area.
It is a simple, quality cuisine, enriched by the French influence with products such as foie gras, duck confit and cheese.
We propose that you choose according to your tastes, but we suggest not leaving the region without trying the following:
- The “migas”(a shepherd’s dish made with bread) in the traditional style with grapes, very typical in Tramacastilla de Tena.
- The Tena milk-fed lamb Delicious and from the lambs bred in the valley.
- The Tena stew. A typical vegetable and meat stew from Sandiniés.
- Jacket potatoes and onions with a special touch in Panticosa and El Pueyo.
- The “sopetas”. Peach macerated in “vino rancio” (sweet local wine). They are always present at the fiestas in Pueyo de Jaca.
- The“crespillos” A traditional dessert that is prepared especially during Carnival.
- Duck confit, served in many restaurants in Sallent, Escarrilla or Panticosa.
- Homemade Pacharán You can buy it in most villages in the region.
- Products from our neighbouring France: cheese and pâtés.
Not to be missed
In addition to cycling, you can enjoy:
The businesses you need to have a unique experience.
How to get
The most representative villages of the Espacio BTT Alto Gállego are Sabiñanigo, Biescas, Panticosa and Sallent de Gállego.
All of them can be reached from Huesca by the A-23 highway to Sabiñanigo and from there take the A-138 road that connects all these towns to the border with France.
From France, access is via the Portalet pass, on the D-934 road from Laruns.